Restaurants at Smith Mountain Lake
Smith Mountain Lake has a large variety of restaurants; a few that are somewhat formal, but most eateries here are very casual, relaxed, and informal. A number of restaurants on the lake are even accessible by boat, which makes them favorites for both visitors and locals alike. We have great pizza places, fast food, a more formal restaurant run by a celebrated chef, perhaps the best ice cream in America, and everything in between.
Although there are a total of 81 eateries at Smith Mountain Lake currently, the ones below are our personal recommendations for some of the best and most enjoyable restaurants we think you should visit while at the lake.
If you are thinking about purchasing property at Smith Mountain Lake, or just have some questions, please visit our home page at smithmountainlake.homes to see available homes and lots for sale. You can also click Contact to reach Ted for a quick reply to any questions you may have.
Restaurants Accessible by Boat or Car
- Los Amigos at Crazy Horse Marina Having won the "Best Place to Come by Boat" award (voted on by SML locals), this is definitely a place you should visit. Best margarita you've ever had! Right on the water with great food and service, a largely Mexican staff, and pleasant Mexican music. Always lots of open slips available for your boat, and you can even fill up on gas at the marina.
- Pizza Pub Everyone has their opinion of where the best pizza is at Smith Mountain Lake, but our vote goes to Pizza Pub! It's basically just how the name sounds: GREAT pizza and beer. Seating is available either inside, or outside with a view of the water and marina. Conveniently located at Bridgewater Plaza.
- The Landing Often regarded as the best restaurant at Smith Mountain Lake, run by Chef Bruno Silva, The Landing is the place to come for waterfront fine dining. Also features a waterfront bar. Plenty of boat slips where you can park your boat as you enjoy a great meal.
- Portside Grill and Bar Located at the Virginia Dare Marina, they serve burgers, hot dogs, wings, and a great Cuban sandwich. They also serve breakfast. Sunset views over the water, live entertainment on select nights, and a small beach where the kids can play while the adults enjoy a beer.
- Magnum Point Marina and Restaurant Recently renovated and under new ownership, this marina/restaurant is getting rave reviews. Great customer service, nicely decorated, and easy to park your boat.
- Mitchell's Restaurant at Mitchell's Point Marina A waterfront restaurant and pizzeria with a large outdoor patio, tiki bar, and live music on Friday nights. You can also call ahead for take out, and pick up your food at the dock by boat.
- The Copper Kettle Inside and outside dining in a quiet section of the lake. A varied menu with something for everyone. Beer and wine available.
- Jake's Place Located at Halesford Harbour near Hales Ford Bridge. A family-owned and operated waterfront restaurant, open Thursday through Sunday, with breakfast served Friday-Sunday. Outdoor seating available. Referred to as the "Craft Beer Capital of the Lake." Many good reviews, but prepared for a longer wait on weekends.
- Drifter's Restaurant Located at Crystal Shores Marina, Drifter's is a family friendly place with a casual atmosphere, with burgers, pizza, seafood, and live music. Be aware that finding a boat slip to park in is more challenging on weekends however.
- Heath's Waterfront Grill Located at Mariner's Landing, every seat has a view of the water. Heath's offers a casual atmosphere with burgers, fish and chips, pasta, steaks and more. They also have a bar. Closed in the winter, so check for their available hours.
- The following restaurants are all located at Bridgewater Plaza (same as Pizza Pub).
- Mexico Viejo at Bridgewater Plaza A newly opened second location for Mexico Viejo. Same great food, service, and atmosphere.
- Mango's Bar and Grill Large dining room and outdoor patio and bar. They often host live bands. Reasonably priced burgers, wings, and other classic American food.
- Moosie's A well established local restaurant in a tavern style environment that is family friendly. Great sandwich selection.
Restaurants Accessible by Car Only
There are many additional restaurants for you to enjoy here. The list below shows our recommendations for other great restaurants and eateries. Although not accessible by boat, these are all wonderful places to enjoy a delicious meal or a snack.
- Old Oak Cafe Popular restaurant that is locally owned and operated. Classic American fare, and one of the best places at the lake to get with breakfast, which is served 7 days a week.
- Cancun Mexican Restaurant & Grill Conveniently located at Westlake, with delicious Mexican dishes, a fully stocked bar, sports channels, and free wifi. Be sure to try the Pineapple Fajitas!
- Edo Grill and Sushi Specializing in Japanese dining and sushi, they also provide a good selection of Chinese food. Impeccable service, great reviews, and a pleasant atmosphere.
- Blackwater Cafe Come here for some of the best food at the lake! Has both a casual bar area, and a more formal dining setting. Highly rated service from a professional wait staff.
- Vinny's Italian Grill and Pizzeria A favorite among locals, with excellent Italian fare and pizza. Take out service available. Located at 16547 Moneta Rd. near Hales Ford Bridge.
- Tuscan Tavern Another Italian restaurant popular with locals, located in the same strip as Vinnie's, at the opposite end.
- Joe's Pizza and Italian Restaurant Conveniently located in the Westlake area, Joe's offers both a buffet and menu service. And not just pizza; they have a full Italian menu, as well as wine and beer.
- Wake Cafe Located on Scruggs Road near Westlake. A former Dairy Queen, now under new ownership.
- Homestead Creamery In the mood for some ice cream? A local dairy partnering with local farmers to produce award winning ice cream; possibly the best in America! In addition to ice cream, they produce delicious milk, cheese, and lemonade.
- Teriyaki House Located in the Westlake shopping center, just to the left of Westlake Library, Teriyaki House is good for quick casual dining and take out. Both Japanese and Chinese menu items.
- Carl's Place Popular with both locals and lake visitors. Many loyal customers have been patrons for years. Casual family atmosphere, friendly service, and great food. Located in Penhook.
- Napoli Cowboy A new restaurant at the lake that features both Italian and Texas fare. An unusual combination, but it works! Great reviews for both food quality and service.
*not all restaurants listed are shown on below map